Saturday, October 11, 2008

Copeland | You Are My Sunshine


01. Should You Return
02. The Grey Man
03. Chin Up
04. Good Morning Fire Eater
05. To Be Happy Now
06. The Day I Lost My Voice (The Suitcase Song)
07. On The Safest Ledge
08. Not Allowed
09. Strange And Unprepared
10. What Do I Know?
11. Not So Tough Found Out

Jacqueline is a big Copeland fan and over the four years we've been together I could never fully appreciate this band. Beneath The Medicine Tree only has four songs I enjoy, In Motion only has two that I like, for the rest I found to be extremely boring, and Eat, Sleep, Repeat racked up five whole tracks that I found myself going back to listen to. Simply put, I guess fourth time's a charm in this case because I've just finished my second full listen to Copeland's new offering, You Are My Sunshine, and I loved just about every minute of it.

Copeland does a good job of keeping the overall sound of their albums diverse, and the musical theme this album seems to possess is ambient, dreamy, quiet, and downright beautiful soundscapes. Another thing I've noticed is that Aaron Marsh's vocals seem to improve with each album, so by this record he sounds incredible.

One last thing to mention. The final track is the best Copeland song to date. 10 minutes of the same beautiful, somber melody with subtle changes thrown in. Dredgery abound, female vocals, piano, saxophone, and more and it's a great way to end the album. The melody sticks in your head for a long period of time after the songs already ended.

The band is streaming the new album on their myspace, and you can purchase it in stores on Tuesday.

And don't forget to check out Moving Mountains' new song off of their upcoming EP, Foreword.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OhHh I am so excited to go listen to it right now!