Saturday, November 14, 2009

dredg


This passed two weeks I re-purchased a copy of Tool's Lateralus (for the third time), as well as El Cielo by dredg. These two albums are my 'masterpieces'. I live and breathe these two CDs. It might be a lot to say that these albums changed my life in any form, but they definitely did and still do have a part in forming my character, and are the reason I am so passionate about music in general.

I will keep this rather short and possibly have separate blog posts about each said album at another time, but this particular blog post is about dredg, arguably my favorite band of all time.

The passed three days I have been binging on the records this band has put out. I have now done this an uncountable amount of times, besides just attempting to overplay each of their cds as they're released. I've recently been falling asleep to playlists of the records on shuffle, as well as driving in the car blaring the albums back to back. I've done this now roughly a hundred times.

My point is, I've heard each of these songs so many countless times, again and again over the years, yet still after each few months pass, I get the urge to do it all over again. Each time, the songs affect me just as much as they always have, rediscovering them each time, even though I've known them all so well.

Even after the unheard of amount of spins, I can still find things that were subconsciously noticeable yet have to think about what I just heard to realize and continuously appreciate the depth of the band. I still find new meanings in the subtle phrases and lyrics. I still notice tie-ins with the concepts of each record and how they can relate to not only the person who wrote them, but you and everyone else.

I still find amazement in the diversity, constantly rearranging my feelings and emotions with each different song, yet fully enjoying it despite its' mood.

Bottom line, my adoration for dredg forces me to ask you to listen to this band, if you somehow haven't already. This is a short summary of my feelings on dredg. If you were to ask me to write a 8 page thesis paper, I could probably bang that out as well.

So listen to this band. If you somehow haven't already.

/fanboyism.

4 comments:

Kat said...

Great post man! Inspired me to listen to Tool's discography again.

Chris said...

Thanks! I've been doing that as well. I can't wait for them to put out another cd.

Anonymous said...

Dredg is amazing, I agree with you completely.

Chris said...

Good to hear. :)