Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Circa Survive | Blue Sky Noise


In a previous blog post, I broke down Circa Survive's Juturna and On Letting Go, explaining how I loved Juturna for its haunting atmosphere and nostalgic affect on me, and On Letting Go for its dreaminess and the fact that it has two of my favorite Circa Survive songs on it, until now at least.

Although I do love On Letting Go now, I didn't at first. The two songs I liked immediately ended up being my two favorites in the bands' catalog for quite awhile, and the rest took lots of forced listens for a couple weeks to really appeal to me. With that being said, the moment I heard Blue Sky Noise I was hooked. Hopefully it doesn't have a reverse effect that On Letting Go had.

Circa Survive dropped their slow, prodding, overly drenched reverb style a tad on Blue Sky Noise, allowing it to be instantly accessible to most older fans, and most especially newer fans. There are moments on the record that are obviously signature style for the band such as the instant classic "Frozen Creek" which is probably in their top 3 most popular songs already due to them performing it live for the passed two years.

What's refreshing about Blue Sky Noise are the pop oriented songs such as "I Felt Free", which may be my new favorite song from the band, "Imaginary Enemy", and "Dyed in the Wool". This is where the bands song writing shines more-so than it ever has on all three releases. Maybe this is the type of music they should have been playing the whole time.

A lot of long time Circa Survive fans may complain the band lost their atmosphere and their experimentation, but I will have to disagree while also saying that they are full of bullSHIT. Just because a band isn't overflowing their songs with guitar leads on delay does not mean they lost atmosphere. Just because the band is playing actual chords, and upped their aggression a bit doesn't mean they're not experimental. The song writing on Blue Sky Noise is their best yet, and even though it might be more of an alternative touch, it seems this is where the band shines the most. Either way, Circa Survive are now three for three.

Favorite tracks: "I Felt Free", "Fever Dreams", "Dyed in the Wool".

No comments: