Thursday, September 23, 2010

Highly Anticipated Record: Agalloch | Marrow of the Spirit


1. They Escaped the Weight of Darkness 03:41
2. Into the Painted Grey 12:25
3. The Watcher's Monolith 11:46
4. Black Lake Nidstang 17:34
5. Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires 09:40
6. To Drown 10:27

----

........

FINALLY. A new Agalloch record. And how I cannot wait to hear this one. The album title, cover artwork, and track listing are all fantastic. Now it's time to hear the overly awaited, highly anticipated tunes these guys have been writing for awhile now. I for some reason have a feeling this could be their greatest record. The Mantle is nearly a masterpiece but I feel if they combined that song writing with the production and overall sound of Ashes on the Grain they could produce an even better album than anyone expected. Hopefully that's what Marrow of the Spirit is.

Quick note: Track 2 is called "Into the Painted Grey". I'm thinking this is referring to the album cover. As if someone were walking into the painting. It reminds me of dredg's "It Only Took a Day" which is metaphorically about a sleep paralysis episode of somebody stuck inside of Dali's numerously named "Sting caused by the flight of a bee" painting (that's the shorter of the three names).

This record comes out 11.23.10. Sooner than I expected although still way longer than I planned on waiting after Ashes on the Grain. Let's see if this album can surpass my absurdly high expectations.

No comments: