Monday, September 27, 2010

Hopesfall | No Wings to Speak of


I'll never forget the day I heard this EP in 2003. I had just gotten into 'hardcore' or any kind of music with screaming in general. A week after playing this EP on repeat I knew it may be my favorite EP of all time.

It's now 2010 and I've grown out of 98% of hardcore.

No Wings to Speak of is still to me the greatest four stand-alone songs recorded for one compact disc.

In words I can't quite describe, I'll simply say that these four tracks encompass the most beautifully aggressive song writing and emotionally impacting lyrics that nearly anyone could relate and feel to. The emotion of the melodies, the vocals, and the lyrics simply are beyond what other bands in this genre at that time we're attempting to do. What's blatant is that Hopesfall weren't attempting to do anything other than what their hearts were writing. This is natural and pure.

If you're into any kind of hardcore and you somehow missed this EP or are turned off by the way Hopesfall transitioned as a band, please go back and listen to this. You will not regret it.

Also, if you're Bill Lohr and you're reading this, your opinion is invalid. You love Pearl Jam.

No comments: