Friday, December 11, 2009

5th Fortnight


Head over to this link to read what readers and contributors of Rabbit Hole Music have been listening to lately!

If you're too lazy, here is my write up for Kaddisfly's Did You Know People Can Fly?.

As you may know, Kaddisfly, who remain one of my top 10 favorite bands, went on hiatus about a year ago and started another project which I'm still too angsty to even mention. Just recently, the band posted two demos of "new" songs on their MySpace. The songs are over a year old but they're new to any fans. This got me extremely excited for a possible return to their senses and that the band would get back together to release the final album for the trilogy. Although it seems as if this is unlikely, I decided to listen to their three full lengths back to back. I couldn't help but notice how much I forgot how awesome Kaddisfly's debut record Did You Know People Can Fly? is.

Chris Ruff is still to this day my favorite lyricist, as his words on all three albums are superb, as is his voice, but, while re-listening to DYKPCF?, I realized that I think his singing is the best on this record. The energy and vibrancy of his voice matches the aggressive nature to the songs so well. Some of the melodies on "Midnight in Shanghai" still bring me back to the very first time I heard that song in 2003, that being the first music I'd ever heard by Kaddisfly.

Although I think Kaddisfly as a whole have gotten better with each release (Set Sail The Prairie is in my top 10 albums of all time), I can't help but mention that the songs "Manhattan Loves You" and "Day Disappears With the Absence of Night" are possibly in the top 5 Kaddisfly tracks written.

No comments: