Wednesday, December 8, 2010

#16 - Devil Sold His Soul | Blessed & Cursed


I've always liked Devil Sold His Soul. In fact, I loved their debut EP and reviewed that and reviewed their debut full length which I enjoyed but felt was rather weak. The band emailed me and asked further what I did and did not like about the record.

Was this album their answer to me?

Now I'm not sure what you would categorize Devil Sold His Soul as anymore. Maybe metalcore? Post hardcore? Who knows, but all I know is that this CD has moments of pure atmospheric post-metal ala Isis, beautiful post-rock moments reminiscent of This Will Destroy You, and crescendos of soul crushing melodies that could appear on an Envy album.

Yup. Right up my alley. This band went from good to fucking fantastic.

I want to note that the middle to end of "Drowning/Sinking" is one of the best moments in metal music this year.

No comments: