Tuesday, December 21, 2010

#8 - Jonsi | Go


You may know Jón Þór Birgisson for the lead vocalist of Sigur Ros, or also one of the most unique and incredible vocalists of our time. Last year he made my charts with Riceboy Sleeps, a fantastic ambient record that sounded like a combination of Sigur Ros and Eluvium.

When I heard he was coming out with a solo record I felt kind of jipped due to the fact that we'd have to wait longer for another 'Ros record. After reading Jonsi's press release for Go, I was intrigued at the fact that all of these songs started as very minimalistic acoustic songs and grew into huge tracks with tons of instruments that required tons of extra musicians.

After hearing the opening track "Go Do" I knew we were in for something special.

Some may say these all sound like Sigur Ros b-sides, and sure, you can't help but think about Sigur Ros when you hear these songs, but if you were to listen to this album more than a few times, and then watch some live videos of these songs, you'd realize that these tracks and this project is completely unique and special.

Every song on this CD is awesome, diverse, and full of emotion. There's songs with electronica influence, combining synthetic rhythms with acoustic instrumentation, clever percussion, and heart wrenching ambient moments ("Grow Till Tall").

In all, the more I listen to this CD the more I love it. Mr. Birgisson is truly one of the most innovative musicians and writers I've ever heard. I cannot wait to hear what he does next.

No comments: