Monday, December 6, 2010

#18 - Les Descrets | Septembre et ses dernières pensées


I remember the Alcest/Les Descrets split from earlier this year and me neglecting the Les Descrets songs just because I was too anxious to hear what Neige had been up to. That was pretty stupid of me.

This record is fantastic and is one of a few really great atmospheric black metal CDs to drop in 2010 (the rest are obviously coming). The shoegaze influence in the songs is a huge plus for me as it's something I'm continuously falling in love with; the feminine side of this dark music. Although the parts aren't full on dance 'gaze like some Ameseours songs, there is definitely a wicked catchyness to a lot of these songs within the blatant neofolk sections (middle section of "L'echappe").

One thing that's interesting about this CD is the complete lack of harsh vocals. Everything on this is soft sang, even with blast beats and classic black metal drumming. I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or not. It's definitely a CD that a lot of people who can't quite grasp the coldness of black metal could actually acquire either way.

No comments: