Thursday, December 23, 2010

#7 - Anathema | We're Here Because We're Here


Could you tell Steven Wilson had something to do with this CD?

Porcupine Tree references aside (for now), this album is fucking unbelievably uplifting, refreshing, and brilliant. Over the last two years of my life I find myself scrolling through the list of bands and end up stopping on something that I know makes me feel. Those bands more than likely write melancholic music.

The first time I heard We're Here Because We're Here I was so overwhelmed by how optimistic the music sounded, and how inspirational the lyrics were. It was the first time I had heard anything like this since a Kaddisfly track, and we know that's been a long time. I found my musical moods constantly changing 'cause in the midst of wanting to hear something depressingly beautiful, I wanted to also hear this album, which is beautiful in a completely different way. In a way that made me look at music in a different way for the first time in awhile.

There is not a weak moment on this cd, although some of the earlier songs are clearly better than the later tracks. "Summernight Horizon" and "Angels Walk Among Us" are both highlights but track three, "Dreaming Light" is easy in my top 5 songs of the year. Unbearably gorgeous. It sounds like a combination of Porcupine Tree's "Lazarus" meets shoegaze.

"And you shine inside and love stills my mind like the sunrise"

I cannot

EVEN!

No comments: